Hey Everyone! Welcome to Episode 22 of the Darn Good Life Podcast. I’m your host, Danielle Roberts, and today I am excited to bring Shea, and our friends Alex and Nick, onto the show. We met them several years ago and instantly bonded with them, and we consider them family. We share many similarities, and one of those big things is, that none of us wants kids.
So in today’s episode, we’ll be talking about some of the reasons why we’ve made that choice for ourselves, plus the really frustrating responses we hear when we tell people we don’t want children.
Before we get started, I wanted to preface this discussion by saying that we are NOT anti-children. We all have nieces and nephews, and friends with babies, and they are everything. We all know some fantastic parents, all of whom we have a tremendous amount of respect and love for. I would give my life for every single one of them. We’re not saying that people shouldn’t have kids.
We are simply here to talk about respecting a person’s choice not to have children and what we wish others would think twice about saying when we share that choice.
Disclaimer: This episode contains profanity, so if you DO have little ones running around, put in your headphones or turn your volume down.
- 2:00: How Alex & Nick met and how they arrived at the decision to not have children.
- 5:30: How Shea & Danielle first realized kids weren’t in their life plans.
- 8:20: How motherhood is ingrained in society as a woman’s “duty.”
- 13:30: Why it’s inconsiderate to ask people intrusive questions, especially without considering external factors, and a question you should ask instead.
- 15:00: A little history lesson from Nick.
- 18:20: Particular responses that frustrate and annoy all of us when we tell them our plans for voluntary childlessness.
- 31:00: Parental pressure.
- 40:00: How relationships dynamic change when kids are in the picture.
- 48:00: What living a good life means to Alex and Nick